Overview and Live Tutorial
Overview session (1h)
When: June 3rd, 2021, 4-6pm UK time.
- Tutorial outline
- Schedule over the next weeks with drop-in sessions (2h weekly with 15 mins time slots)
Why network visualization? (15min, recorded)
- Brief lecture about network visualizations
Vistorian demo (15min, recorded)**
- What are the available visualizations: https://vistorian.github.io/visualizations.html
- Showing features and how vistorian supports interactive network visualization
- Introduce traces: explain our research goals and methods, and ask for consent.
How to format my data (15min)?
Break (5 mins)
Live Tutorial (1h)
Guided Tutorial (30 mins, record explanations):
Participants will be provided with a demo dataset (marie boucher dataset) and will go through the following steps:
- Load data
- Use Node-link (NL) networks
- Map data (data with locations/coordinates): How to use geo locations
- Use Map
- Using Vistorian Lab:
- How to enable Vistorian Lab and traces
- How create bookmarks and use states
- How to manage, export, import, and share bookmarks with others.
Open Exploration / General Q&A (30 mins, not record):
Explain visualizations and interaction with other types of networks:
- Matrix: explain matrices
- Individual Exploration Exercises:
- Closed questions: Ask specific questions and create state when answers are found.
- Are nodes A&B connected?
- Which node has the most connections?
- Open ended: people explore the matrix visualization and report on what they see in the matrix.
- Repeat exploration exercises using features provided (e.g. timeline)